Museums & Historic Attractions
Oconto Archaic Copper Museum
First Christian Science Church
Corner of Main and Chicago, Oconto WI
Built in 1886, this structure is the first edifice built for Christian Science services in the world. Although the Mother Church in Boston had started a number of years before, no building had been completed for the sole purpose of worship until Oconto's church was erected.
Mrs. Mary Baker Eddy, founder of Christian Science, was in Chicago in 1884 to teach a class when several women from Oconto went to take instruction, including Mrs. Lovina Milledge. Upon returning to Oconto, Mrs. Milledge opened her home to students of Christian Science and for Sunday worship. The group steadily grew through healings and it was shortly after that they decided to build the First Christian Science Church. With Mrs. Eddy's permission and community donations, this hard lumbering town received another church for its residents and visitors.
With the exception of modern lighting and heating installation, the church remains virtually unchanged. Built on cedar pilings with a wood exterior, a basement was added in 1916 when a heating plant was installed. The Church maintains a reading room in the basement, containing historical documents related to the church and current publications about Christian Science. Although the congregation has never been large, the church has continuously held Sunday services since 1886. Presently, services are held at 10:30 a.m. Sundays.
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, tours are now available May 1 through October 15. Visitors may arrange a tour by contacting the Oconto Visitor Center (at Wagner's Shell Station) at 110 Brazeau Avenue or 920.834.6254.
Beyer Home Museum
917 Park Avenue, Oconto WI
Built in 1868 by Cyrus and Kitty Hart, the Beyer Home Museum is believed to be one of the first brick homes in the county. The building passed through several owners before becoming the home of George and Fanny Beyer in 1881. Though the original structure was an Italianate-style, the Beyers remodeled it into a Queen Anne style home adding a wrap-around porch, a three-story tower room and entry, a south bay addition, and new windows, many of which included leaded glass.
In 1941, the county acquired this home and turned it over to the county historical society with the stipulation that it become a museum for all to enjoy. During the 1970's the interior of the home was completely restored to the 1890s and furnished in Victorian fashion.
The adjacent Annex contains Copper Culture artifacts, old Main Street Oconto store exhibits, and early settler and logging items. The urban barn houses carriages and electric cars.
The buildings are open to the public as a fine example of how the small town wealthy lived. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Museum is open daily for public tours June 1 through Labor Day.
For additional information contact the Oconto County Historical Society at (920) 834-6206 or visit www.ocontoctyhistsoc.org
Governor Schofield Mansion
610 Main Street, Oconto WI
The Governor Schofield Mansion, a classic Italianate-style home, circa 1865 was the brick mansion of former Governor Edward Schofield. It has been lovingly restored and beautifully decorated. In the past the Mansion operated as a bed and breakfast, which included The Oakwood's upscale dining establishment. The Oakwood was the title the Governor gave his estate. Today the Mansion is a private home.
Oconto's Post Office
141 Congress St, Oconto WI
300 Washington St, Oconto WI
Holt-Balcolm Lumber Co. Office (Brothers 3)
106 Superior Ave, Oconto WI
City Of Oconto
Website Design by Packerland Websites