FAQs Municipal Court

When is my court Date?
Your court date should be on the upper portion of the front of your citation.
Do I have to appear?
If “Yes” is printed in the “Appearance Request Box”, then you must appear in court. If you fail to appear the court may issue a summons for you to appear and/or sign a warrant for your arrest.
What if I can’t make my court date?
You can contact the court and request a continuance.
Where do I have to show up?
The Municipal Building, located at 1210 Main Street, Oconto WI 54153
What if I don’t appear?
If not a mandatory appearance, you may be found guilty by default and ordered to pay the forfeiture (Bond/Deposit value) on your citation. You will be given notice that you have 60 days to pay your forfeiture. If it is a mandatory appearance, a summons or warrant for your arrest, will be issued.
What do I do at court?
In court there will be a handout to read and the judge will also explain the procedures before cases are called. If it is your first appearance for this citation you will be asked to enter a plea to the charge(s) against you. You may plead Not Guilty, Guilty, or No Contest.
Not Guilty plea– your case will be set for a pretrial meeting with the city attorney, where you can discuss your case and perhaps reach an agreement. If you do not reach an agreement your case will go to trial.
Guilty plea– if the judge accepts your plea you will be found guilty. You will then have an opportunity to state any mitigating circumstances you feel the judge should consider before sentencing you. The judge will then sentence you
No Contest plea– this is NOT an admission of guilt but a statement that you are not going to fight the citation. It is handled like a guilty plea but it can NOT be used against you if some other legal action should arise from the incident involving the citation.
Can I just mail something in?
You may enter a plea by mail if you wish; please clearly state your plea and include your name and citation number. You may mail in the amount on your citation if you wish to plead No Contest and just pay the forfeiture.
When do I have to pay?
The court normally will give you 60 days to pay any forfeiture. Often the court is willing to set up payment plans.
What if I miss a payment?
If you miss a payment, contact the court as soon as possible. If for some reason you can’t make a payment please contact the court. The court is willing to work with you as long as you show a genuine intent to pay the forfeiture.
What happens if I just don’t pay?
The court may summon you to appear, suspend your driver’s license, send the matter to debt collections and /or order your arrest and commitment to jail.