Job Post: Library Assistant at Farnsworth Public Library
June 29, 2022
Farnsworth Public Library is accepting applications for a part-time library assistant to start immediately. We are located in Oconto, WI (population 4,516) with a service population of 9,747. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the librarians on staff and providing excellent customer service at multiple service points.
The Library Assistant will perform tasks including but not limited to:
- Circulation services: checking library items in and out, managing incoming and outgoing deliveries of library items, and assisting library patrons with holds and other requests.
- Advisory services: interpreting requests for library materials and assisting patrons with locating items or requesting them from other locations.
- Technical services: assisting patrons at public computers or with their own devices.
- Shelving library items, completing inventory procedures, and preparing items for circulation.
- Assisting with public classes and events.
The Library Assistant will have excellent customer service skills, a strong desire to welcome people to the Library and help them use it, and enthusiasm for promoting the Library’s resources and events. All staff members are expected to support a positive, welcoming, clean, and safe environment throughout the building and grounds in accordance with library policies. Strong computer skills are essential. The Library Assistant will operate PCs, printers, copiers, tablets, smart phones, and electronic reading devices. Competent use of digital materials (especially Microsoft Office, online email systems, online card catalogs, and databases) and the ability to teach their use to others is essential.
The Library Assistant reports to the Director and may supervise volunteers. There is a six-month probation period and annual performance reviews.
The Library Assistant must be able to carry heavy books, bend and stretch, push a book cart, use stairs, and reach all shelves with or without the aid of a step-stool. Must be able to work 15-19 hours a week, including some Saturdays and occasional evenings. Additional hours may become available, depending on staffing and availability.
Qualifications include a high school diploma. A minimum of two years of work experience is preferred. Candidates whose work history demonstrates customer service experience, confident use of technology, and/or experience working in libraries will be given preference.
Hiring is subject to an interview process and background records check. Starting wage is $15 per hour.
Applications must include:
- a typed cover letter
- a typed resume
- a completed City of Oconto Employment Application, available at https://cityofoconto.com/employment/
Applications and questions may be submitted to:
Farnsworth Public Library
Attn. Kristin Laufenberg
715 Main Street
Oconto, WI 54153
or emailed to email@example.com
This position will remain open until filled.